Saturday, March 22, 2008

Ups and Downs

It has been a weird couple of weeks, with quite a few ups and downs in my life. This has been a long month school-wise. It's the first month that we've had complete weeks of school - no snow days, no weather interruptions, and only one planned early release. So we've actually had 3 full 5 day weeks for the first time since November. With the time change that occurred in that time frame, we all had some major schedule adjusting to do!

We've been dealing with some really stressing things too . One of our students has been fighting against life-threatening pneumonia and its complications. He has been in ICU since our Feb. break and seems finally to be stablized. However, he is on the list now for a lung transplant because of major scarring that has occurred as a result of massive infections. This has affected not just teachers, but a stepbrother and other close relatives who are also among our 6th graders.

We are also moving our classrooms next month as the final phases of construction start. We will move into some temporary rooms for the rest of the year, and then have to move back for the fall into different classrooms. It wouldn't be so bad if we were getting the beautiful new rooms, but we're not. In fact what really has me depressed is that after FINALLY getting a big room 2 years ago, I will most likely be moving into another teeny classroom with NO storage. Plus our team will be split up among 3 floors instead of the current 2 floors we're on. There is a chance that I will get a great room, but if that happens, I will be one of 2 6th grade rooms in a hall otherwise filled with another grade level. That will make things a bit more difficult as far as transitions go, but I'd much rather have that alternative.
I also had had the possibility of moving to another grade level, but that door closed. I was really bummed about that, but it makes the packing easier.

Family life has been rather stressed too --- another sister has had to deal with breast cancer. Fortunately after the bad news of the diagnosis, the rest of the news is positive. This has been difficult for us all.

So what are some ups?? Well, I am back on track as far as exercise and diet. I've managed to get to the gym almost every other day this month, and I've lost almost 4 pounds. I tried the rowing machine the other day and discovered that I didn't mind it. I can't say I love it, but at least I can stand it. So along with the elliptical, there are 2 cardio machines I can tolerate. So between those 2 machines and the twice a week water aerobics classes, I'm back into positive motivation. I hope it lasts!

Another up is that we have a great trip planned for our April break. We are using some travel vouchers we received last summer when we got bumped to go to Cornwall for 5 days. I am looking forward to that!

And finally, my overall mood had changed for the positive - I definitely know that the longer daylight hours is involved.

No comments: