Sunday, May 24, 2009

Catching Up With My Books

Book #49 (I think!)

The Middle Place The Middle Place by Kelly Corrigan


My review


rating: 5 of 5 stars
I have to admit I didn't realize this was nonfiction til I was about half-way through the book! It's a very authentic memoir. Kelly Corrigan masterfully weaves the past and present as she describes defining moments of her childhood and connects them to her present. Although she is describing her journey through her cancer treatment, she's really sharing with us the undeniably strong bond of family and love that she has been gifted with.


View all my reviews.



# 50

Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris


My review


rating: 2 of 5 stars
I wanted to like this book and therefore find a new series to read. Unfortunately, I wasn't impressed. I don't have any real dislike: I just never really got connected to Sookie, or to the plot. Ho-hum is the best I can muster.


View all my reviews.



#51


Thanks for the Memories Thanks for the Memories by Cecelia Ahern


My review


rating: 2 of 5 stars
I wanted to like this one, but I found it too sappy and predictable. I thought the plot dragged too much also. Joyce has just had an accident which caused the loss of the baby she was carrying. She receives a blood transfusion. Justin is a guest lecturer in art and architectural history at a Dublin university and he is persuaded to donate blood by a potential girlfriend. Joyce is suddenly possessed by a wealth of architectural history knowledge, and has intense dreams of places and people she doesn't know. Is Joyce experiencing Justin's memories? She tries to find out who donated her transfusion blood, and she and Justin have several casual and accidental meetings. I figured out almost from the first page, boy and girl eventually live happily ever after.


View all my reviews.


And #52

Among the Mad (Maisie Dobbs Novels) Among the Mad by Jacqueline Winspear


My review


rating: 5 of 5 stars
This was really fascinating. It's now 1932 and London is being threatened with terrorist attacks using biological weapons. Maisie is called in by the government to assist. All of her previous experiences as a war nurse, a nurse in the post war wards for the shell-shocked soldiers, and her training as an investigator are called upon. In addition, Maisie uses her connections to help Billy Beale's wife Doreen get the help she needs to fight her depression, and she is called upon to help her friend Priscilla recognize what she needs. This installment ends hopefully, as Maisie recognizes that she has weathered her own depression.


View all my reviews.

No comments: