Thursday, October 8, 2009

Book vs. Movie: And the Winner Is .......

Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously by Julie Powell


My rating: 2 of 5 stars
This is one of the few books I've read where I can say I liked the movie better than the book. I'm trying to figure out why. The movie followed the book fairly accurately, only more so - that's the best way I can explain it. Certainly the movie expanded Julia's story. There were a number of added scenes which carried Julia's story further than was offered in the book. But even the author's experiences were more vivid, and more alive in the movie. At times I was tempted to skim or skip parts of the book, because I just wanted to get to the end, and parts of the book just felt too whiny and/self-indulgent. On the other hand, although those same episodes were portrayed in the movie, they were less annoying. And I have to admit, watching Meryl Streep as Julia was terrific!

View all my reviews >>

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I'm reading My Life in France and Julie and Julia right now. Have not yet seen the movie, but will one day(thanks be to Netflix).