Sunday, March 6, 2011

A Soppy Sunday

It's raining.  That's news because for most of the past 2 months, it's been snowing.  Rain is good.  It means that it's above freezing.  It means that maybe, just maybe, we might see bare ground in a month or so!  My brother down in Virginia keeps posting pictures of crocus.  I look out my kitchen window and see about 2 feet of snow on the level, and driveway plow piles of 5 or 6 feet.  The last 2 days have been warm enough for snow to melt.  Yesterday, the dripping of melting snow hitting the overhang by the door, and the lower roof  in the kitchen, made it sound like it was pouring!  At least my roof is now snow free!

March is usually the start of mud season around here too.  As the snow finally melts away, the ground is saturated, and there is mud everywhere.  Many of the back roads around here are gravel or dirt, so some of them become impassable for a week or two.  I give up trying to keep my kitchen floor clean for about the same time.  (Not that I am know for a spotless kitchen floor!)

It's been a long winter, especially considering the fact that we had no measurable snowfall until Jan.9.  Since then we've officially received 115 inches of it! All since Jan. 9.

So I don't mind that today it's raining, and that it's pretty foggy as the snow sublimates directly to a gas.  I do worry a bit about flooding in some areas.  The lakes are still frozen as is a lot of the ground.  Low-lying areas are prone to flooding, and some of the faster flowing rivers will overspill their banks if the melting occurs at too fast a rate and we get a lot of rain.

On the reading front, I just finished this book:

Mini Shopaholic (Shopaholic, #6)Mini Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Every once in a while I pick up something I consider pure fluff, and Sophie Kinsella never disappoints.   Becky Brandon is at it again, this time with 2 year old Minnie in tow.  As a serious economic crisis threatens everyone's financial stability Becky and company embark on an attempt to cut back on expenditures.  For Becky this means a promise not to buy any new clothes until she's worn everything in her closet at least 3 times.  As you might suspect, this puts a serious cramp in her style (pun intended). Minnie is also a real challenge, and her behavior (she's banned from Santa's Grotto) brings "Nanny Sue", a leading child expert, into their home.    At the same time, Becky decides to throw a surprise birthday party for Luke, and of course, keeping it a surprise becomes more and more difficult as word gets out.  I needed something frothy and light-hearted, and the frenetic pace of the novel suited me just fine.


View all my reviews


I've started reading the new biography of Cleopatra by Stacy Schiff.  It's  packed full of information, so it's not a fast read.  I haven't gotten too far yet.  I'll be posting about it later on.

I'm busy with a new knitting project - a sweater from a Family Circle knitting book. I'm almost finished with the back.  I'm using a Valley Yarn, Goshen, in colonial blue.  By the time I finish it, it will end up being a fall sweater.  

I'm looking forward to the rest of today.  My church is joining with the other UCC church in town for a "union" service. Both choirs will sing together, along with a band.  I love when our two churches join together for worship because together we create something new and wonderful.  I'm secretly (and possibly not-so-secretly) praying that we ultimately find a way to join together permanently.  We are both proud and active churches, and each of us has a different style, but we are also both struggling with aging congregations, diminishing congregations, and of course, finances.  There would be all sorts of obstacles to surmount, not the least of which is BUILDING.   And of course, nobody is actually talking about uniting.  But that's my dream.  
The really cool thing is that my church was a church "plant" by the other church back in the early 1800's.  Several members of that church saw a need for a new worship center in another part of the town as the existing church was so far from the population center which had moved since the founding of the church.  So they were commissioned to leave the original church and start a new one three miles down the road!  Wouldn't that be cool to re-unite!

No comments: