Saturday, February 18, 2012

Soup Day!

I have always loved soup, but over the last few months, my love affair with soup has intensified.  I'm constantly looking for soup recipes, and right now, if I had my way, I'd make it every day.  I like all kinds of soup too - clear soup, cream soup, spicy soups . . .

In the past 10 days I've enjoyed a fantastic mulligatawny soup with curry, chicken, and apples at a local restaurant, a superb lobster bisque at another eatery, a seafood chowder crowded with chunks of lobster, haddock, shrimp, and scallops, some decent canned chicken with white beans soup, and a lentil soup.  

Today's soup is a chicken vegetable barley soup - 1 cup pearled barley, several sliced carrots,  2 small onions, 2 cloves of garlic, a wilted bunch of celery, some herbs (heavy on thyme and parsley), leftover chicken,  and a mix of homemade and store bought chicken stock.  We will have that for dinner - or more likely lupper (late lunch/early dinner).    

2 comments:

Panhandle Jane said...

That looks delicious! I have a similar recipe that I haven't tried yet.

A big pot of stew sounds good right now as well. We're having a little bit of winter weather.

Anonymous said...

I just had some soup at a local diner - luckily the cook gave us her recipe...spaghetti sauce, white beans, Italian sausage, coleslaw mix from produce dept. It was delicious!
Your soup sounds just the right soup for today!