Tuesday, June 25, 2013

It's FINALLY Summer

The last week of school was endless.  We've gotten out this late before, even later, but for some reason this end-of-year passed much more slowly than usual.  The kids are "checking out" earlier and earlier too which doesn't help.  The week passed in a blur of 2 field days, some grade level happenings, and the school talent show.  And finally, 11 am on Friday arrived, and the kids departed.  I spent the afternoon packing away my room and pushing the furniture to the perimeter of the room per policy.  I'm curious as to what other teachers in other districts have to do to "close" their rooms.

School ended none too soon with the advent of very hot, humid weather. I had to go into school yesterday briefly to hand in my purchase orders for next year, and to bring in some old sheets and tablecloths to cover up my bookcases and computers.  My room was 87°F at 10 am so I was very grateful that I didn't have 22 kids to control.  I only spent about 45 minutes there.

Since school got out I've been reading up a storm and watching Netflix.  I've been enjoying two very different Netflix offerings.  The first is called "Lilies."  It's a BBC offering from a few years ago about 3 sisters in Liverpool at the end of WWI who are trying to earn a living.  The accents are sometimes a little hard to follow, but after a short time, I get acclimated (mostly).  I've watched about 6 episodes - I think there are another 3 or 4 left.  The other series I'm watching is "Brothers and Sisters" with Sally Field.   I never watched it while it aired since the time slot was too late for me and I had too many other shows I was following.  But I have gotten hooked!  I just finished season 1 which had 24 episodes!  Nowadays you're lucky to get 13 new episodes each season.  I also recently watched "House of Cards" - the Netflix offering.  This was terrific!  I'd seen the BBC version a number of years ago which I thoroughly enjoyed.  Netflix did a great job of Americanizing the characters and plotline.  It's "West Wing" on steroids!

So that's what I've been up to since vacation finally arrived.  I have a ton of house stuff to do - both new and old, but that's the subject of another post.

No comments: