Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Summer So Far

School finally ended last Friday, and we've had glorious June weather -- sunny, warm days, cool nights.  The heat is starting to build now, as well as the humidity which I hate.  But now that we're in the new house, if it gets really uncomfortable, I can turn on the AC -- a luxury I've never had before.

Since school got out, there's been no rest for the weary however.  We need to get our old house emptied this week so that we can get it cleaned and get some renovations accomplished.  We've rented it to a friend and her family who unexpectedly needed a place to live, so we're trying to get everything out by July 1st for them.  That means we've spent 5-6 hours daily going through each room and either packing/moving, tossing, or putting into yardsale/giveaway.  We have 2 huge rooms filled with the yardsale/giveaway and the yardsale is scheduled for Sat.  I still have a couple of bookshelves and odd boxes to sort through, and then I can start organizing the yard sale stuff.  That will be a whole different kettle of fish.  We've lived in the old house for 30 years and have stored not just our clutter and collectibles, but also things for friends, neighbors, and even a tenant!  We rented a huge dumpster too, to make the tossing easier.  That's about 1/2 full.  I can't believe the amount of stuff we've accumulated.  And the number of photos!  They are uncountable!

I'm also trying to set up the new house, and am trying really hard to not let stuff accumulate here.  If I can't find a place AND use for something, it's going.  And that's led to some tough decisions.  But I'm being ruthless, even going so far as to toss two "works of art" I've treasured since I was 6 or 7.  Both are ceramic pieces -- an unfired bust of someone I christened George Washington, about 3 inches high, and my green glazed horse that looks like a flattened hippo with an elephant trunk, about 3 inches long.  They are history!  If I had had my camera charged I would have photographed them, but the charger seems to be among the missing.  Oh well.  I have the memories.

I think I'm doing my sons a favor because we will be making it easier for them when it's time for them to break up our household.  It's crazy what I brought back from my parents' home when we took care of their house.  Now I'm wondering why I wanted the broken sugar bowl that doesn't even have all the pieces left to glue it back together!


No comments: