Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Five Things On My Mind

First of all, I can't believe how long it's been since I posted.  I've been SO BUSY!

Some things have been on my mind:

1.  Retirement is wonderful.  I am busy, but I'm busy with things I CHOOSE to do, not what I HAVE to do.  I do my housework when it needs doing, or when I'm motivated to tackle a major chore.  I keep up with the business bookkeeping on my schedule.  I exercise regularly.  We've done a bit of traveling on the spur of the moment.  I read, relax, watch TV or Netflix.  I deliver Meals on Wheels.  I've gotten involved again (after a longish hiatus) with church committee work and church events.  I lunch with friends.  It's a lovely life.





2.  I am doing NEW things.  I don't know what is so freeing about being in my 60's but I am doing new things - tubing down a river, joining a yoga class, snowshoeing, going to a paint night.








3.  I'm healthier.  Since June 1, 2016 I've lost over 70 pounds through diet and exercise -- ON MY OWN, not through a program.  I've seen success with a fitness tracker and a fitness app (MyFitnessPal).  I have striven to get at least 30 minutes of cardio exercise at least 5 days a week, through fitness classes like water aerobics, water tabata, Zumba Gold, and through rowing, snowshoeing, and WALKING.  I've gone from a size 30 jean to a size 18 jean, and from 3x tops to XL.



4. Because of my weight loss, I'm learning a new sense of body space!  I still think of myself as enormous and am always pleasantly surprised when I fit in a booth, or put the tray table down on an airplane.  I give myself more space than I need to get by people or past obstacles.  I need to re-learn personal space.


5. Partly because I have time, partly because I'm feeling healthy, partly because we can afford it, and partly because I realize how fleeting life is, I am not putting things off that I want to do.  I'm learning how to identify bird songs, I'm planning trips (off to California to visit our son and daughter-in-law soon, and to the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone (tour) in the fall.  Despite the perilous times we are living in nationally and world wide, I am more optimistic about the part of life I can control.  It feels good!

No comments: