Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Traveling - and Lent

I hate packing! I love to travel, but I hate trying to figure out what to pack. I always manage to take way too much stuff. I think it's because I've been raised to be prepared for anything. I usually end up traveling at those iffy times of year too -- the weather is too changeable to know whether to take a coat or not, spring shoes, or winter ones, etc.

We're not traveling far - only from NH to VA, and only for 3 days. My brother is retiring from 20 years in the Navy, and we're making mad dash down to Norfolk for the celebration. Trying to figure out what to wear, when it's snowing like the dickens at the moment here in the north can be challenging.

It will be weird traveling this weekend. I have rarely missed Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, and Easter services at my church and I will be missing them all this weekend. In fact, I'll be in the air just as the Tenebrae service gets underway, and again on Sunday as the Resurrection is celebrated. It's been an odd Lenten journey for me this year. I have been trying to read The Last Week, and find time for reflection, but have failed miserably. I feel as the disciples must have felt, falling asleep in the garden, rather than keeping watch with Jesus. So in some ways, I do not feel prepared to celebrate Easter joy - I haven't been keeping Lenten watch. . . . and yet, that is the true grace we are all offered. We are still offered the gift, even though we don't deserve it.

No comments: