Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Book #67 and #68, I think

I read 2 more Aunt Dimity books this week. I'm still listening to The Girl with No Shadow which I hope to finish later today ---- Here's some commentary about one of the aunt Dimity's.

Aunt Dimity's Death (Aunt Dimity Mystery) Aunt Dimity's Death by Nancy Atherton


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
Aunt Dimity's Death is the first book in a long series of cozy mysteries. Actually "mysteries" is probably not quite accurate. The stories are more like puzzles that the protagonist, Lori Shepherd sets out to solve. So far, only one of the books involves a possible homicide. Most of them seem to involve tracing missing relatives. I finally found this first installment in a used bookshop and read it after reading about half of the series. It didn't seem to matter. I enjoyed the "back story" as it were of how Lori and Dimity "got acquainted." If you haven't read this series, you need to know that Aunt Dimity isn't really Lori's aunt, and in fact, Dimity is dead. She is a spirit who communicates with Lori through a journal, giving her advice and suggestions. Lori inherited Dimity's cottage in the Cotswolds, as well as Dimity's Westwood Trust that supports a huge charitable empire. These books are full of gentle humor, "slice of life" episodes, and I find them thoroughly enjoyable.


View all my reviews.


The 2nd Aunt Dimity book was this one:
Aunt Dimity and the Next of Kin (Aunt Dimity (Paperback)) Aunt Dimity and the Next of Kin by Nancy Atherton


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
I love the Aunt Dimity books by Nancy Atherton. They are gentle stories, with humor and just enough puzzle to keep me reading. I haven't been able to find all of them at my library and I've been reading them out of order. But I don't think it matters. Aunt Dimity is actually a spirit who communicates to her adopted niece, Lori, through an old journal. Lori is an American who inherited Dimity's cottage (and fortune) in the Cotswolds and lives there with her American lawyer husband and their twin boys. Nancy Atherton, the author, depicts village life with its positives and negatives, and also creates a not-quite-so-perfect heroine. They are somewhat formulaic, but that's part of the appeal! This particular addition has a main character who dies early in the book, leaving a puzzle for Lori to solve. It seems very like the first book in the series which introduces all the characters.


View all my reviews.

No comments: