Saturday, February 21, 2009

Heresy

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle: A Novel The Story of Edgar Sawtelle: A Novel by David Wroblewski


My review


rating: 1 of 5 stars
This is probably heresy, but I didn't like this book. It was compelling however, so I guess that means it's a "good" book. I wanted to quit reading about 1/2 way through but I had to see it to the end. So, why didn't I like it? I think the first reason I disliked it was because I never felt connected to the characters. The third person "objective" narration kept me an observer rather than a participant in the story -- I never felt like I understood Edgar's motivation, and I especially felt distanced from any understanding of his mother's. The other reason I disliked it was the overall feeling of depression and doom that it left me with. I really don't like books that leave me feeling hopeless. Perhaps I missed the point, but that's how it left me.


View all my reviews.

No comments: