Thursday, March 26, 2009

Comings and Goings

We've had a number of students move out this year. My teaching partner and I have had four students move out this year. Our last move-out was just a month ago. We got word today that the student will back on Monday. I guess life elsewhere wasn't any better? We're also getting a new student tomorrow, and one of the other teaching teams got a new student last Monday. I think it's a sign of the times. As families are impacted by job loss, their living situations change. There's always some moving around, but our grade level has had a higher number of move-outs than usual. And counting the return of the previous student, we will have 3 move-ins in 6 days. It's hard on the "new kid" and it's hard on established classes. By this time of the year our classroom routines are well-established, classroom chemistry and personality is set (for good and bad!), and new additions or losses affect how a classroom operates.
I'm surprised that a child is starting on a Friday. The student will be greeted by a test in science, and some other end of the week wrap-ups. I wish we had a more formal "orientation" program than we do. I think it would ease transitions. That's one of the problems of a set up where kids change classes rather than staying with one teacher, or even one set of kids.

No comments: