Saturday, October 30, 2010

What IS It About Book Series?

I am trying to figure out why I have been on such a book series jag the last couple of years.  It seems like they are making up the bulk of my reading.  Perhaps I've always enjoyed them, but I don't think I was as conscious of the fact that they were series. (For some reason the plural of series doesn't look right!)  I know that when I enjoy an author I want to read more of his or her books.  Perhaps there are more series nowadays?  I realize that many classic authors wrote books featuring the same lead character (Agatha Christie for example, with Hercule Poirot, or Miss Marple, or even Tommy and Tuppence) but I don't think I was aware of a sequence.  It didn't seem to matter in which order they were read as much as series do now.  Perhaps earlier series concentrated more on the plot of the moment rather than the character development subplots?  I'd have to do some serious re-reading to see if my hypothesis is correct!  I do think that as the stress in my life has increased, my desire to stay in my comfort zone for reading relaxation probably has increased.  It's helpful to know that characters will act in certain ways, and that plots will unfold in a predictable fashion.  (Although, there have been a couple of times where an author veers into startling new areas -Dana Stabenow's series comes to mind with Hunter's Moon, #9 in the Kate Shugak series).  At any rate, here are my comments on Lindsey Davis's Ode to a Banker,  #12  in her Marcus Didius Falco series!  And it's book #95 for me this year.  I sure don't do a lot of heavy reading!


Ode to a Banker (Marcus Didius Falco, #12)Ode to a Banker by Lindsey Davis
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This 12th installment in the series examines the publishing and banking industries of Vespasian's Rome.  As usual, Lindsey Davis makes this period come alive.  Marcus Didius Falco is investigating the brutal murder of Chrysippus, the owner of a publishing house interested in Falco's satires.  Falco discovers Chrysippus also owns the Aurelian Bank which has been involved in some shady investment schemes.  Anacrites, the Chief Spy, and erstwhile partner, continues to be a thorn in Falco's flesh as he romances Falco sister, and provides investment advice to Falco's mother.  More family problems crop up when Didius Geminus, Falco's father, loses his grip on his business.  The involved plot kept me guessing and intrigued!


View all my reviews

No comments: