Friday, July 29, 2011

Friday Five

You'd think that being on summer break would give me more time to Friday Fives.  Nope.  But I did get a chance today to play.   Sharon posted this sequel to last summer's Decisions, Decisions on RevGalBlogPals:
. . . A decision from history:  There is a chair that still sits in the Assembly Room of the Pennsylvania State House (Independence Hall). Legend has it that it was George Washington's chair, the back carved with a half sun.  Benjamin Franklin would look at it and wonder whether it was a rising or a setting sun.  Eventually Franklin decided it was the hopeful symbol of the rising sun, a sign of the future of our new republic.

How do you decide? Check out the following pairs and tell which one of each appeals to you most:  

1) Sunrise or Sunset  - 

Both are beautiful, but I tend to see a lot more sunrises than sunsets.  I drive easterly to work and am usually up before the sun rises.  

2) To the Mountains or To the Beach
The beach.  Definitely the beach.  I do like mountains, but the beach calls to me.

3) Coffee or Tea
Again, I like both, but I'm definitely more of a coffee person.  Need that morning jolt or two!

4) Advent or Lent 
Advent.  

5) "Raindrops on Roses" or "Whiskers on Kittens"
Actually the bright copper kettles and brown paper packages tied up with string are more appealing though.  I can take or leave either of the suggested pair.

BONUS:  Tell more about one of the pairs.  Why did you choose it?  Difficult or easy choice?  A story from your own experience?

Sunrises have been pretty frequent in my life. Our bedroom is on the east, so the early light helps me wake up. Some memorable sunrises:  Digby,Nova Scotia, August 17th, 1977.    We have the most gorgeous sunrise photo taken on our honeymoon.   Most people who see it, assume incorrectly that it's a sunset.  Also for many years, we took our students to an overnight environmental school in Saco, Maine for a week.  It's on the beach, and ouir tradition was that one morning during the week we woke up all the students before dawn, herded them sleepily down to the beach (in their pjs and coats!) for the sunrise.  I have wonderful memories of singing "Sun" songs with 150 6th graders  -"Here Comes the Sun", "You are My Sunshine" as we waited for the sun to rise.  That's one experience I have treasured over the years.

No comments: