Saturday, September 3, 2011

Found My Mojo!

I have struggled for the last three years to be excited and happy about my job.  First I was assigned to teach a subject that I didn't enjoy, and then I got moved to a grade level I didn't want to teach.  On top of that is joy-draining pressure of high stakes testing and being a school in need of improvement.   Retirement seemed to be too far away and not soon enough!

I am overjoyed to find that I am once again filled with enthusiasm and excitement.  I'm looking forward to working with the students I've been given.  I'm back 'home", teaching sixth grade social studies and English language arts.  We've just finished 4 days of school, and I love my kids!  They are funny, interesting, and still eager.  Yes, there are going to be the usual challenges --kids who come from dysfunctional homes, kids with ADHD, kids with Tourette's,  kids who are gifted and talented, average kids, bored kids, parents who don't support the classroom or who get upset, etc. etc.  But I can't remember when I've had a group of homeroom kids (23) who worked together cooperatively and successfully to complete a challenging 25 piece abstract jigsaw puzzle!  Or a group of kids who actually stayed 100% silent during the first fire drill that lasted almost 20 minutes!

I'm pysched!!

1 comment:

Panhandle Jane said...

Wow! I am so happy for you. May the rest of the year go as well.