Sunday, December 11, 2011

Friday Five: Random

This is from Friday's RevGalBlogPal post. I'm a little late.

 I don't know about you, but my life seems to have a lot of random surprises lately.  Just little things,
like the doggy in the picture, who was rescued by a Good Samaritan from running into traffic, who then brought him to the police, who brought him to my neighbor's house.  I took the doggy, now named Scout, to the vet on Monday, and the woman behind the desk said, "This dog looks so familiar.  Were you here last week?"  I told her no, that this particular dog is a stray, and she looked at me, and said (use your best Boston accent here), "Oh my GAWD!  I rescued that dog on Satuhday!  I took him to the police!" and then she proceeded to tell me the story.  She was Scout's angel.    

Random, right? 

So, for our Friday Five, I invite you share five random things about you, or five random thoughts, or five random surprises in your life. 

Just be random!

1.  I got a few Christmas preparations completed this weekend.   We bought our tree, and it's in its stand sans lights and decoration.  But it smells good.  I bought a wreath for the door too.  The first time in 30+ years that I didn't buy it at our church's Christmas fair last weekend.  One of the very few times I didn't attend that fair.  I completed a very few Christmas cards earlier today.  I LOVE getting cards, but the past few years I haven't gotten around to sending any.  I 'm trying to get them out this year.

2.  We went to visit Eldest Son down in MA yesterday afternoon.  It's about a 2 hour drive, and it was nice driving home and seeing the Christmas lights.  I noticed a two trends.  Many homes have carried the all-white theme to extremes.  White candles in every window, white lights on every bush and tree. White deer and tree and Santa "sculptures" in the yard.  Too much white, not enough contrast.  The other trend were how many people have the shrub netting over bushes.  It a lot of cases it looked too rigid.  We have a wreath, (just purchased) and yellowish candles in the windows.

3.  There are 2 full weeks of school left.  This year we only have one week of break.  

4.  We received the last CSA produce basket Friday.  No more until June.  We got a bushel basket filled with root veggies, potatoes, garlic, and squash.  I will especially miss the greens.

5.  I am not going to make my 2011 reading challenge goal of 125 books.  I'm in the middle of book #96.  I don't think I will even surpass last year's total of 109.  However, I did read more nonfiction this year than I have in past years - 14 titles in all.  I do read nonfiction more slowly than fiction, and many of the fiction books I read were in excess of 500 pages.  My husband says I should count pages, not books.  


No comments: