Monday, February 17, 2014

Pot Roast Tonight

I love making a pot roast.  I use a pressure cooker to make it, so it usually only takes about an hour and a half, give or take.  It's one of our favorite comfort meals.  And after this string of bitterly cold days and snow, it is perfect to warm up with.  My mom used to make it all the time.  Sometimes she scorched it, and the story goes that I used to ask my mom if she'd burned the pot roast yet!  I occasionally scorch it too, but it still tastes great!

We had our first snow day on Feb. 5, and then had 2 in a row on Feb. 13 and 14.  Another snow storm is on its way tomorrow.  We got about 9 inches in the first storm, and then about a foot in the last.  Tomorrow we're slated to get anywhere from 4-8 inches.

Here's the pot roast recipe --- or what passes for one.

3-4 lb pot roast (--- can be anything from a bottom round or "brisket".  Our market labels                           cuts as oven roasts or pot roasts.)

1 envelope dry onion soup mix
1-2 onions chopped (depends on the size - one large or 2 small)
2-3 cloves garlic chopped
about 3 cups beef broth
about 1/2 cup water
potatoes  (3-4) cut into quarters
carrots  (5-6 - halved)

Put meat in pressure cooker.  I have a rack in mine so I don't need to add any fat, but if you don't have a rack, melt a bit of butter or put in a little oil so it doesn't stick.
Add onions, soup mix, garlic, about 2 cups broth, and water.

Bring pressure cooker up to rapid steam, and then reduce heat to medium.  Steam for about 45 min.  Release steam, open, and add carrots and potatoes and more broth/water if needed.  Bring back to full pressure and cook for another 20 -30 min.

Remove from heat, remove meat and veggies.  If you want, you can use pan juices to make a gravy.

Sometimes, I don't put potatoes in the pressure cooker.  I cook them separately and mash them, and definitely make gravy.


No comments: