Monday, September 28, 2015

Review: Murder at Mullings

Murder at Mullings Murder at Mullings by Dorothy Cannell
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I was surprised to discover that this is a recent novel; the style was much more that of a novel written in the 1920's or 1930's.

Florence Norris is sent into service in the early 1900's and works at Stodmarsh where she eventually becomes housekeeper. Lady Stodmarsh dies suddenly, under mysterious circumstances. However, although Florence has her suspicions, she has no proof. Lord Stodmarsh remarries, much to everyone's surprise and even dismay. When he dies, the new Lady Stodmarsh begins a new regime that incurs the hatred of the family. And then there is definite murder. Florence eventually takes her previous suspicions to the police, which helps them solve the current crimes.

I felt that this was a very slow-moving story, and while I liked the main characters, I felt that I kept at a distance from the story.

View all my reviews

No comments: