Friday, September 4, 2015

Review: The Pure in Heart: A Simon Serrailler Mystery

The Pure in Heart: A Simon Serrailler Mystery The Pure in Heart: A Simon Serrailler Mystery by Susan Hill
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Argh!! I really liked this second installment in the Simon Serrailler series, but the ending just left me hanging. I debated giving this book only 3 stars because of that, but it was so engrossing, I couldn't. Nine year old David Angus goes missing on his way to school, and there are no clues. Serrailler and his team are at a loss. Serrailler is confused by the death of Freya Graffham, one of his officers and seems to be mourning what might have been. At the same time, his younger sister Martha, institutionalized since birth, reaches a health crisis, and his casual girlfriend Diana Mason declares her love for him. This book is less about the mystery and much more about Serrailler's attempts to deal with the turmoil in his life. I like him better in this book, than I did in the first, and I really like how DS Nathan Coates' character is developing. I am beginning to think that this series will have a very long story arc, and I'm looking forward to its development.

View all my reviews

No comments: