Thursday, April 7, 2016

Review: The Cuckoo's Calling

The Cuckoo's Calling The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is one of those books that grows on you. I had a hard time getting into it. Cormoran Strike, ex-military police, is now a private investigator. He lost a leg in Afghanistan, and is now trying to make ends meet, living in his office eating Pot Noodles and sleeping on a camp bed. His new client, John Bristow, claims that his supermodel sister Lula Landry, did not commit suicide despite the police investigation concluding that she did. Strike is asked to prove that her death was in fact a murder. The other main character is Robin, a secretary sent by the temp agency, who is secretly thrilled to be working for a private investigator. I had a hard time warming up to Strike. His characterization as a down and out loser was almost too strong. My opinion eventually changed, and I was definitely surprised by the twisty ending.

View all my reviews

No comments: