Friday, October 26, 2007

The Friday Five

From RevGalBlog


1.How did you celebrate this time of year when you were a child?
We carved pumpkins, dressed up and went trick or treating. I loved Halloween as a child! My favorite Halloweens were when I lived in Bridgewater, NJ back in the mid 1960's when it was a just a tiny township. We lived on in brand new neighborhood on a street that was about a mile long. The whole neighborhood seemed to participate in trick-or-treating. We visited nearly every house and filled pillowcases with treats! One Halloween when I was older, maybe 14 or so, I was in charge of my younger siblings. My older college age cousin was visiting and we took my siblings out trick or treating. We decided that since we were too old to get candy, we would play some tricks. Our dastardly deed??? We put the flags up on all the mailboxes at the foot of every driveway! We were petrified that we'd get arrested for playing with "government property."

2. Do you and/or your family “celebrate” Halloween? Why or why not? And if you do, has it changed from what you used to do?

My children are adults on their own now, so our Halloween celebrations are limited to treating any children that come to our door. I love having them come. Unfortunately over the past few years, fewer and fewer children come. Part of it is the changing demographic of my neighborhood, but more of it, I think, comes from the fact that fewer parents deem it safe for kids to trick or treat. That saddens me. Kids who do come to our door are lucky. My husband buys full size candy bars, usually Hershey bars, or Snickers. None of the snack size bars, thank you very much!
2. Candy apples: Do you prefer red cinnamon or caramel covered? Or something else?

I don't really have a preference. I like either, but don't go searching for them. The question however sparked a sudden desire for a SUGAR DADDY!! I haven't even seen them in stores in years. This was always one of my favorite treats.

3. Pumpkins: Do you make Jack O’ Lanterns? Any ideas of what else to do with them?
Not any more. I do have some pumpkins on my steps however. We carve pumpkins in school for the annual Pumpkinfest in a neighboring community. This is a huge event, drawing 80,000 folks to our region, as the town tries reclaim its Guiness World record. Considering that the event takes place in a town of about 20,000, they've done well. This year they had about 25,000 pumpkins. So what if Boston beat them. We have them beat on per capita basis!

4. Do you decorate your home for fall or Halloween? If so, what do you do? Bonus points for pictures.

Not really. I used to when my kids were little. I just don't have time anymore.


5. Do you like pretending to be something different? Does a costume bring our an alternate personality?

I have a love/hate relationship with costumes. I enjoy dressing up, but I can never think of anything to wear, so I hate trying to come up with an idea. If someone came up with the idea, and then supplied me with the costume, I'd have a much better time! I'm still me though, whether I look like myself or not!


Bonus: Share your favorite recipe for an autumn food, particularly apple or pumpkin ones

My favorite fall treat is an apple crisp. No special recipe - just good apples, sprinkled with brown sugar, cinnamon, maybe some ginger and lemon juice, a dash of allspice. Then a topping of about equal parts of brown sugar and butter creamed together, with about a 1/2 cup of flour and maybe some oats and chopped walnuts. Oh and more cinnamon. Cover apples with topping and bake until done at 350░ - maybe 40 minutes or so.

2 comments:

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Mmmmm...apple crisp! I'm with you on that one. A good apple crisp beats pumpkin pie any ol' time.

I love the LOOK of pumpkins, so I'm sure I'd get a kick out of the pumpkin fest.

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

P.S. I forgot to mention that the link didn't work. I just clicked on your name instead.