Sunday, December 21, 2008

I'm Trying to Stay Positive

This is getting old. We are into Day 10 of Life with a Generator. I'm very glad that we purchased one several years ago, but when we purchased it we were thinking it was for those power outages of 12-24 hours. Not 10 days. We are fortunate because the generator runs the oil furnace and our well pump. Our hot water is through the furnace so we are warm and clean. We have a few lights -- in the bathroom, one in the dining half of the kitchen, and one in the living room. We have an outlet that works in the kitchen too, so we can plug in a crockpot, or electric skillet, or the coffee maker. Just not all at once. I can't boil water, though, so no noodles, spaghetti, rice, or worst of all -- no tea. I do drink both tea and coffee --- I NEED coffee in the am, but in the afternoon, I crave a cup of strong Earl Grey or Ginger Peach black tea. I'd love a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast too --- or a soft-boiled egg. I know that my husband, God bless him, is getting tired of the daily trips to the gas station to buy the gas that powers the generator. I should be thankful that gas prices have dropped since we need to buy 10 gallons of gas a day to run the generator. He has to fill the generator twice a day too. We got 10 inches of snow Friday, and the forecast for today is 12-18 inches, plus they've posted a wind advisory. We went out EARLY to get the gas, and to stock up on one-pot meal ingredients. I splurged and bought some Walker's shortbread. I always make shortbread for Christmas, so at least this way, I have something, even if it's not "Mrs. Greenhill's Shortbread." (a recipe from my sister's 1960's 3rd grade classroom cookbook). We did see evidence at last that the power crews have reached our region of NH. We did see lines of repair crews -- just not in our immediate neighborhood. As we passed the crews I sent waves of mental telepathy beaming my address to them. But I also know that we all need relief, so I'm not TOO jealous . . .The other good news is that finally our town has made the power restoration list with an estimated date of 95% repairs of 12/22. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that we're in the 95%, but my husband is telling me not to get my hopes up. So, I'm trying not to get too optimistic. . . .

3 comments:

Unknown said...

As I was sitting here warm and snug today enjoying my Christmas holiday, I was thinking about the fix you guys are in. We sometimes have power outages, but nothing that long, thank heavens! I hope you have help soon.

Jennifer said...

Bless you. May help arive soon!

LizzieK8 said...

Water heated in the coffee pot is hot enough for tea....

Wishing you warm thoughts. BTW, candles do an amazing job of warming up a small room (bath, maybe)...