Sunday, July 11, 2010

Book Reviews: #61-64

Book #61
Blindfold GameBlindfold Game by Dana Stabenow
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This stand-alone thriller from Dana Stabenow was so plausible and that  made it a somewhat frightening read. Korean terrorists have decided to launch a dirty bomb over a well-populated area of Alaska and it's up to a CIA agent Hugh Rincon and Sara Lange, a Coast Guard XO and his estranged wife,  to stop them.  This is an extremely well-researched book.  I felt as though I was aboard the Coast Guard cutterSojourner Truth.  The novel was well-plotted and kept me reading.

View all my reviews >>

Book #62
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Sara Miles IS a Jesus freak who tries VERY hard to live her faith.  This short but extremely compelling book shares not only her core theology, but her very human struggle to do what The Boyfriend (her name for Jesus) teaches her to do.  This is the second book of hers that I've read, and I continue to appreciate her articulateness around how hard it is to always live the Christian faith.  I would love to use this book or her first book, Take this Breadin a study group at church!


Book #63
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Maisie Dobbs is back in this very introspective book.  The body of a  young American cartographer killed in WWI is uncovered 16 years after his death, and it appears he has been murdered.  He apparently had had a relationship with an English nurse.  Maisie is asked to locate the nurse and to investigate the homicide.  At the same time,Maisie's mentor Maurice is failing in health, and she discovers that she is falling in love with someone she never expected.   This was a more hopeful book than some of the earlier ones, and I enjoyed it.


And book #64
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Reading a China Bayles book is like visiting with an old friend.  You spend a few minutes getting reacquainted, and then you're chattering away as though you've never been away.  In this installment, there's a little more "getting reacquainted" than usual, but as usual there's an interesting plot, lots of great recipes, and lots of information about the titular herb.  I wouldn't call this my favorite China Bayles book, but I did really enjoy the time I spent reading it.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jesus Freak is on my pile of books to read!