Saturday, June 11, 2011

Tired, but It's a Good Tired

I woke up this morning at 5:30 am thinking "We forgot about the change!"  Today was the church supper I was co-chairing with another woman, and I'd realized that one of had to go the bank to get change for the tickets.  So my day started a little earlier than planned, which was probably just as well.  By 9:30 am I'd done a load of laundry, gone to the grocery store to shop for the supper, (and our own personal shopping), and I'd stopped at the church to store some of the groceries.  When I got home, I mixed up 5 lbs of meatloaf, and got it ready to bake.  I did  a few household chores, and by 1 pm I was back at the church hall to start preparations for the dinner.  My church holds a supper on the 2nd Saturday for 9 months of the year.  We serve between 75-100 people.  Tonight the menu was meat loaf, baked potatoes, green beans, rolls, green salad, homemade pies, or brownie sundaes.  We served 79 paying guests and about 15 workers.  I got back home at 8:15, and I'm tired.  But we raised over $500 and had a really good time working together.  Our suppers are an institution and we've been doing them for about 25 years.  We used to get a slightly larger crowd, but recently the local Catholic church changed the time of mass because of the consolidation of several small parishes.  The Catholics used to go to 5 pm mass and then head over to our church for supper at 6.  Now the mass is at 6, and they can't come at 5 and the supper is over at 7.  We've been talking about changing our serving hours, but nobody wants to work any later than we have to!   We vary the menu.  During the summer months we do a chicken barbecue that always sells out, and in September we do steaks.  We're going to try a pig roast in October.  Other popular suppers are a turkey dinner, pot roast, and Swedish meatballs.  It's work, but it IS fun.  So, I'm tire, but as I said, it's a good tired.

No comments: