Saturday, October 1, 2011

A Book Review!

Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, SpyBonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy by Eric Metaxas
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book fascinated me.  I've heard Dietrich Bonhoeffer quoted often, most usually in a sermon at church.  Last winter when I was teaching 7th grade social studies we studied the Holocaust, and I ran across this biography.  It took me until now to have time to read it.  Even without his martyrdon, Bonhoeffer must have been a truly remarkable man.  He appeared to affect everyone he met and he seems to have an indelible mark on those who knew him well.  Eric Metaxas paints a full picture of Bonhoeffer - his personal life, his spiritual life, and his political life.  While the explication of Bonhoeffer's theology may not be everyone's cup of tea, I was very interested.  So interested in fact, that I will be seeking out some of Bonhoeffer's books.  Metaxas also did a really good job of explaining the despair that faced post WWI Germany which made Hitler's rise to power possible.  I learned a great deal more about the struggles of the German church than I had known before too. This book was not a fast read for me.  I found myself going back to previous letters and passages.  This is one book I wish I'd read in hard copy and not on a Kindle, because of that.


View all my reviews

No comments: