Thursday, July 9, 2015

Small Town Living

After a couple of days of mugginess and rain, it was refreshing to enjoy a lovely summer evening outside. After dinner, my husband and I headed down to our little New England common for the weekly farmers' market and free community concert.  After browsing the wares, we purchased a pint of fresh blueberries, and I allowed a couple of little girls to persuade me to buy a small container of new potatoes.  One of our local farms has established a "Girls' Garden Club."  The girls, who appeared to be 2nd-3rd graders, were eagerly entreating potential customers to buy their flowers, herbs, and potatoes.  "We dug them up and picked them today!" one sales person enthused.  So I bought this container of new potatoes from them.




We then settled ourselves in our lawn chairs and spent the next hour or so enjoying the sounds of the Raymond Street Klezmer Band.  They played a variety of traditional klezmer music interspersed with some liturgical songs and some modern compositions.  It was a lovely way to spend a July evening.

A photo taken by my friend John Stone.  My husband and I are sitting just to the right of the tree on the left:


No comments: