Sunday, August 30, 2015

Review: The Various Haunts of Men: A Simon Serrailler Mystery

The Various Haunts of Men: A Simon Serrailler Mystery The Various Haunts of Men: A Simon Serrailler Mystery by Susan Hill
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I did NOT see the ending. I was also surprised that a book advertised as a "Simon Serrailler" mystery featured so little of him. The novel instead focused on Freya Graffham, a new transfer to Serrailler's team at the Lafferton CID. Several women, and a dog, have gone missing over a relatively short period of time, and although nothing appears to connect the victims, Graffham is convinced that the disappearances are connected. She and her partner, DC Nathan Coates, are given permission to investigate. Their investigation takes them into the New Age businesses centered in the nearby village in Starly. Along the way, Graffham, who is recovering from a divorce, begins to make a new life for herself. She joins the cathedral choir, and makes a number of new friends, including Serrailler's sister Dr. Cat Deerbon. I really liked the female characters in the book, and I also enjoyed Nathan Coates. Serrailler, not so much. He came off as a cold, flat paragon. Hill did a great job building suspense and creepiness too. I will read more in this series.

View all my reviews

No comments: