Thursday, June 9, 2016

Adventures with Garmin

Okay, so anybody that knows me, knows that I am VERY obese (I hate that word.  I like fat better!)  They also know that I hate sweating and that exercising is very far down my list of things I enjoy doing. For years, I've tried to get into the exercise habit, and for a number of years I was fairly successful in establishing a regular routine of water aerobics and strength training.  And then I had a severe case of pneumonia and shortly after that, rheumatoid arthritis joined my life journey.  It took about 6 months before the doctors figured out what I had --- and during that time, I was so fatigued and in so much pain that it took absolutely everything I had to get through a day of teaching.  There was no way that I could manage even the simplest cardio workout.  And then of course, once you're out of the habit . . . .

Needless to say, that this past fall I started going back to water aerobics class, trying to make it at least twice a week, and feeling great when I made it to the third class each week.  But it wasn't enough.

When I went to my endocrinologist last week my A1C had increased by .7 pts, not good.  I came home and ordered a Garmin Vivosmart HR.  I can use it in the water which is why I chose that and not a Fitbit.    I received it on Saturday, and started wearing it almost immediately.  It's depressing when you can't meet the first step goal it sets, nor did I meet the next day's goal either which had dropped by 1000 steps.  However, on Monday I made my goal!  Half of the steps I needed for the day were from my water aerobics workout.  Tuesday, the goal was increased, but there was no class.  Despite the fact that I forced myself to take a  brisk 15 minute walk (that just about killed me!), I didn't make my goal.  So, yesterday the goal was reset once again.  I went to class, and by the end of the day, had met and exceeded the daily goal by about 200 steps.  Today is a no class day.  I've done a 15 minute walk and I've climbed a set of stairs 5 times.  That goal is 10 sets per day.  Since I live in a one floor living space house, the only stairs are those to the basement,  and those from the back yard to a 2nd story deck.   So I've done the deck stairs 3 times today, and the cellar stairs twice.

I find myself taking the long way around my house.  It's 47 steps from the kitchen area to the master bathroom!  So I've been bypassing the guest bathroom.  I am volunteering to go the mailbox rather than letting my husband bring the mail in  (71 steps one way).  I know that I am in a honeymoon period right now, but I am appalled at how little I move.

I am, at least for now, motivated by challenging myself.  I only worry that in a few weeks, the pool will be closed for 4 weeks, and I don't have another swim option.  I really dislike walking too since I'm surrounded by busy, hilly roads with crumbly pavement on the edges and narrow or nonexistent shoulders.  Guess I'll be climbing those stairs nonstop!


No comments: