Monday, November 23, 2015

Soup Season

I love soup and confess to eating it for lunch at least 4 times each week.  Most of the soup I consume comes from a Progresso can, at least until soup season starts.  Once the weather gets chilly, I do make soup fairly frequently, but it's almost always some variation on cabbage soup or a "refrigerator" soup made from leftover veggies and salad fixings.  This soup season I wanted to branch out and try some other varieties.  I also told my husband to expect a weekly soup for dinner.

When we went to Indiana earlier this month we stopped at a restaurant in Ohio which had this delicious stuffed pepper soup.  So I found a number of recipes for it on Pinterest, and then created my own version two weeks ago.  It knocked our socks off!  I forgot to memorialize it with a photo.   All I did was brown extra lean hamburger and throw it into my crockpot along with 4 chopped bell peppers, 1 large chopped onion, 2 small cans of diced tomatoes, 3 crushed garlic cloves, 4 cups of beef broth, and a can of tomato paste. I added oregano, basil, and 2 bay leaves and cooked it on high for about 4 hours.  I made brown rice separately which I put into our bowls and then put the hot soup over the rice. Yummers!

This week I've got chicken and corn chowder simmering in the ole crockpot.



This is Pinterest recipe which you can find here:
Slow Cooker Chicken and Corn Chowder

I didn't use the bacon since my husband intensely dislikes bacon (I know, I know, how can he not like bacon??) and I used a can of cream-style corn for part of the corn since that's what was in the pantry.  I didn't have any cayenne either, but did have a sample size jar of Berbere Seasoning Blend from Penzey's.  It's main component is cayenne, so I put in about 1/2 tsp.  I might add a pinch more the next time I make the soup.  (I LOVE Penzeys.com and purchase all my herbs and spices from them.)

I won't be making a turkey soup this week since we're not going to be home for the feast, which is the downside to going elsewhere for the holiday.  

We'll see what recipe catches my attention for next week's soup!

No comments: