Thursday, January 14, 2016

Review: The Inn

The Inn The Inn by William Patterson
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

I rarely read horror books, but thought I'd try a different genre just to change things up. I wish I could say this was good, even if horror isn't my thing. But this was just plain silly. Annabelle Wish and her husband James Devlin have left NYC to take over the Devlin family bed and breakfast in a remote town in the Massachusetts' Berkshires. Annabelle is recovering from a drug addiction, as well as severe PTSD. As a child her stepfather tortured her by locking her in a closet and convincing her that a tiny blue demon would eat her. Once at the inn, Annabelle discovers that there are very disturbing family secrets that threaten her mental and physical well-being. And then, the town ne'er do-well is found murdered in the woods nearby, and his body is missing an arm. It's eerily similar to murder at the inn many years previously. Next, a inn guest goes missing, and then a workman, hired to do some inn renovation disappears. All in the space of a day or two. At the same time, Annabelle starts seeing the blue demon from her childhood all over the house, and strange noises are emanating from the fireplace in the parlor and in the walls. Needless to say, there are a few more deaths, and many more blue demons, before the final confrontation, which takes place during a raging blizzard. The resolution was abrupt; almost as if the author had written himself into a corner and had no idea how to get out of it. I'm glad I didn't spend any money for this one!

View all my reviews

No comments: