Monday, August 29, 2016

Review: State of Wonder

State of Wonder State of Wonder by Ann Patchett
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I am not sure how to rate and review this book. I didn't love it, but it was an absorbing read, and at times an uncomfortable read. Patchett's writing made the Amazonian jungle a real presence and almost a character in the book. I can't say that I liked any of the characters however, and I didn't 'get' the relationship between Marina and Mr. Fox. Why was she calling her lover Mr. Fox? And in reality, would a drug company allow a researcher so much independence and leeway in making progress reports? However, the questions raised - how much should a "first worlder" interfere with the lives of the Amazonian tribes? Where are the boundaries between research and business? Should the reproductive lives of first world women be extended? --were all compelling. The ending was a surprise, and I was left wondering about what happens next.

View all my reviews

No comments: