Friday, January 9, 2009

I Forgot!

I forgot to mention this book, one of the last I read for 2008. I like books like this -- I learn something new, since the book is based on historical fact, it's engrossing, 0and it has that gentleness and genuineness I like.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
This was a gentle, enjoyable read. A writer, looking for an idea, stumbles upon a love story, and becomes part of a small community on the island of Guernsey. The time is just past WWII and she discovers how a small community survived German occupation by creating a literary society. She also discovers that love knows no boundaries. The entire novel is based on a series of letters from the writer to various islanders, to her editor and her friends, and from the islanders and her friends back. Through the various letters, a very vivid picture of the community emerges.


View all my reviews.

2 comments:

Soonerbeknitting said...

I'm glad to see your review. I looked at this one at Barnes and Noble and then put it back.

I need something new to read while waiting for my favorite mystery authors to publish new ones.

Jennifer said...

You're the third person who's recommended this book. I look forward to its arrival on my doorstep from a certain large company that sells books and more!