Saturday, January 10, 2009

Two Middle School Novels and A Mystery for Adults

Here are two books I read from my school library this week. The first will appeal to younger readers while the second is aimed at the older middle school reader. I think both books are interesting, and will appeal more to the girls than the boys. I still continue to be encouraged by the number of good books out for our middle readers that also appeal to adults!

The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy by Jeanne Birdsall


My review


rating: 3 of 5 stars
An enjoyable book that will appeal to some of the girls in my 6th grade class, especially the "younger" ones. Four sisters spend a summer in a rental cottage on a large estate. They make friends with the snobby estate owner's son, get into all sorts of scrapes, and make new friends. It's a gentle story.


View all my reviews.


And the second recommendation is this:

Peeled Peeled by Joan Bauer


My review


rating: 3 of 5 stars
Hildy is a journalist, working for the high school newspaper. Her family owns an apple orchard and she splits her time between school and the family business. Her small town is experiencing some scary times that are centered on the town's alleged haunted house, and fear is building in the town. At the same time, the mayor has announced a new economic initiative that threatens the orchards of some of the town's growers. Hildy uses her journalism skills to get to the bottom of things, and she and her friends "break the story." Joan Bauer creates believable teenagers, engaging stories, and I think this story will appeal to many middle school girls.


View all my reviews.


And for the grown-ups I offer this next book in the China Bayles series:

Rosemary Remembered (China Bayles Mystery, Book 4) Rosemary Remembered by Susan Wittig Albert


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
This is book #4 in the China Bayles series. While I did end up suspecting the correct villain, I was surprised by the means, and I wasn't sure of my suspect until close to the end. I really like this series. The characters are believable, the plots are twisty enough to confound the casual armchair detective, and I'm always interested in how all the relationships evolve in Pecan Springs. Pecan Springs is alive in my imagination, and I enjoy spending time there.


View all my reviews.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm going to pass along the Penderwick recommendation to a friend with a daughter about the right age. I really enjoy Pecan Springs as well. I think the town is a composite of several Hill Country towns, but she does a great job of evoking the atomosphere of that part of the state.