Saturday, February 6, 2010

It Could Have Been a Good One

 Pirate Latitudes Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton


My rating: 2 of 5 stars
   I found this book dull, perhaps because this was a manuscript found after Michael Crichton died, and it was not polished and edited the way  it might have been had the author himself submitted it for publication.  Although there is potential for a "rollicking, swashbuckling adventure", it's unrealized potential.  This truly felt like the first draft.  The pieces were all there - flawed hero, villainous characters, loyal henchmen, damsel in distress, treasure hunt, pirates, exotic locations, murder, mayhem, and sex.  But none of pieces were developed well.  I felt no rapport with any of the characters, and didn't really care how the drama played out.  All in all, I was glad I borrowed this from the library instead of downloading it on my Kindle.

View all my reviews >>

No comments: