Thursday, April 22, 2010

Vacation Reading - So Far

First book in a new series by an author new to me:

The Crossing Places The Crossing Places by Elly Griffiths


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Ruth Galloway is an archeology professor specializing in Iron and Bronze Age Britain.  She's middle-aged, overweight, and single and she lives with her cats in an isolated cottage on the edge of a protected marsh.  When some bones are discovered that may possibly be those of a missing child, the police call her in to investigate.  Her investigation leads her to a significant archeological find as well as to the solving of two missing persons mysteries.  Ruth also finds a mutual attraction to the lead detective who's married.  This was on the dark side of suspense novels, not at all a cozy read; the characters were interesting, and I look forward to reading more of Elly Griffiths' works.

View all my reviews >>

#2  An old author, but new to me:

Died in the Wool Died in the Wool by Ngaio Marsh


My rating: 3 of 5 stars
I've never read any Ngaio Marsh before although I remember my mom reading this author.  I found this through an on-line book group on Ravelry and decided to give her books a try. 

It's just after World War II, and New Zealand woman, Florence Rubrick has been brutally murdered and her body hidden in a wool bale.  Inspector Alleyn has been sent out from England to help solve this cold case as there is a suspicion that her death is part of an on-going espionage investigation.  I found this novel to be slow-moving and even plodding at times.  I also used my dictionary a few times to find out what some of the New Zealand vocabulary meant - "fossiking" for example means prospecting or ferreting out.  I did figure out who the murderer was before the author told us, but didn't figure out how it was tied into the espionage problem.  I will probably try another of her books if I can find them.  My library has none so I have to use interlibrary loan. 

View all my reviews >>

#3  And an old friend!

Poseidon's Gold (Marcus Didius Falco, #5) Poseidon's Gold by Lindsey Davis


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
These books just get better and better!  This time, Falco is charged with the murder of a legionary from his brother's regiment.  His brother Festus apparently left a huge debt behind as the result of an investment scheme gone wrong, and Falco's family is on the hook for it.  When one of the investors comes to get his money, he winds up dead, and Falco is blamed.  In this fast-paced installment, Falco works closely with his estranged father Geminius to clear his name, and he finally has the opportunity to ask Helena to formally marry him.   But as always, the famous Marcus Didius Falco luck prevails . . . . . I really enjoyed this one.

View all my reviews >>

No comments: