Monday, May 23, 2011

A Disappointing Read

Love Mercy (Love Mercy Johnson Mystery #1)Love Mercy by Earlene Fowler
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

This first book of a new Earlene Fowler series was disappointing.  I really wanted to like it more.   Love Mercy Johnson is still getting over the death of her husband.  She is part owner of a local diner in fictitious Morro Bay, and she has a wide circle of friends, including Benni Harper.  One of her granddaughters arrives on her doorstep with a stolen banjo and a tale of woe.  There is no mystery involved, just a gentle and very cliched story of family and friends helping each other get by.  I found the character development forced and I got tired of reading all the background.  I also thought the book was way too preachy.  I don't mind Christian-themed literature, but I felt that I was being beaten over the head with it.  I'd much rather a more subtle approach.  Will I read the next books in the series?  Maybe, if my library buys them.  I won't pay for them -- I didn't think it was worth the download price on my Kindle.


View all my reviews

No comments: