Friday, May 6, 2011

Friday Five: Word Associations

As posted at RevGalBlogPals  by  Songbird:


It's been a busy week for me, trying to get back into the routine after a post-Easter vacation. (How did it get to be Easter 3?) So to keep it simple, here's a Word Association Friday Five, with a bonus twist for those feeling creative. First, for each of these five words -- all of which remind me of my *most* excellent vacation -- share the first word that comes to mind when you read it.

1) Airport    -  Logan
2) Baseball  - Autographs
3) Art  -  The Old Man
4) Chocolate  - LIndt
5) Grill  - Summer!


Bonus: Tell us a story that comes to mind based on one of the word pairs.


Baseball and autographs are linked in this way.  When my parents were on their honeymoon, way back in 1953, they were at a hotel having dinner.  My mother, who was a big baseball fan, recognized 2 players from the Cleveland Indians having dinner at a nearby table.  She made my father (who never understood the fascination of baseball) go over and get their autographs.  No one had paper, so the two players signed their names on a paper napkin.  When we were going through my parents' things after both of them had died, we found the paper napkin in an envelope in Mom's cedar chest.  The autographs were still legible.  We actually looked up the players (and for the life of me, I can't remember who they were!).  One name was basically unknown, but the other one had a decent record, and his autograph was actually worth about $40 on Ebay.  We gave the napkin to my cousin who was more like my mom's little brother to her instead of her nephew, who really appreciated it!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's a great story!

1-4 Grace said...

Sweet story! I love Lindt too!