Sunday, July 29, 2012

My Favorite Dish -- At Least at the Moment!



I seem to be on a recipe roll!  I've been experimenting over the past few months with Thai cuisine, and I've collected a few curry recipes.  We had half a bag of large shrimp in the freezer, and I had a bunch of veggies that needed to be used.  I didn't feel like a stir fry so I made a version of shrimp curry.  I didn't measure anything  --- I tend not to follow recipes exactly anyway.  This is one of those recipes you can adjust to the ingredients you have on hand and your own personal taste buds.  My husband said it was really good but he would suggest a tad more heat.  I opted on a more subtle heat, but it's really up to you!  If you need more heat, add more chili paste and/or serrano chili.

Here's what I did:

Deb's Shrimp Curry

2 medium carrots sliced into thin strips
1/2 large onion diced
1 clove garlic minced
1 TBS green curry paste
1 TBS Thai fish sauce
1 can (14 oz) coconut milk
1 cup (approx) chicken broth
sugar snap peas - about a cup
bok choy, sliced into bite-sized pieces (about 1 cup)
1/2 of a serrano chili diced
1 TBS tomato paste
juice of a lime
fresh basil, roughly torn - 1/4 cup?
fresh cilantro - 1/4 cup?  Reserve some for garnish
1 lb shrimp (16-20 count)

Optional:
siracha
diced ginger (about 1 inch can be added at start with garlic and chili paste if desired)

Saute the chili paste and garlic in a couple of tablespoons of peanut oil for a couple of minutes over medium heat.  Add the onion, chili, and carrots and cook for another minute or two.  Add the coconut milk, chicken broth, fish sauce, and lime juice and simmer for 3-4 minutes. Taste sauce and adjust seasonings (lime juice, chili paste), and you might need to add a tad more chicken broth or fish sauce).  Add the shrimp and the remaining veggies and herbs.  Simmer for 3-4 minutes until shrimp and veggies are heated through.  Don't let the veggies get too limp and soggy.  

Serve over hot rice or noodles.  Garnish with cilantro.


This serves 4-6 people depending on how hungry every one is!

No comments: