Thursday, December 17, 2015

Review: Kitchens of the Great Midwest

Kitchens of the Great Midwest Kitchens of the Great Midwest by J. Ryan Stradal
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This was an interesting read, and definitely made me hungry while I was reading it. It's unusual in that although the central character is Eva Thorvald, much of the book is more about the people she comes in contact with than with her directly. Eva's mother abandons her shortly after birth, and her father Lars has a fatal heart attack shortly thereafter. Eva is raised by her aunt and uncle. Although greatly loved, she doesn't fit in. And in a way another major character is food. . Each chapter in the book focuses on a pivotal food experience in Eva's life which form her into chef of great renown. The ending of the book closes an open circle in one respect, but also left me with questions.

View all my reviews

No comments: