Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Sittin' and Stewin'

Actually while I may be actually sitting down while I type this, it's the first time all day.    After getting some laundry going, I headed out to a big box store to try and find some stocking stuffers for my husband and elder son, and to buy some golden raisins, dates, and apricots for the fruit cake I am hoping to make tomorrow.  I was not particularly successful in finding the stocking items, but I did manage to get the dried fruit.  I also managed to buy some shampoo and unmentionables for me, and Lindor White Chocolate Peppermint Truffles.  I also finally found a hand held pencil sharpener for my colored pencils.  I am destroying the electric sharpener with them.

When I got home, I put together this beef stew/soup for dinner tonight (and lunches for the next few days!)



I didn't follow a recipe; I just put it together from what's in the larder.  Exact quantities don't matter, and the veggies can be changed up.  In fact, I will probably throw in some left over veggies from last night's dinner (originally frozen mixed vegetables - peas, carrots, corn, and lima beans) shortly before serving.


A Beef and Beer (!) Stew

1.25 lb lean stew beef
flour to coat beef pieces
1 tbs olive oil
2 medium onions,  chopped in 1 inch pieces
2 sweet potatoes, chopped into 1 inch pieces
1 small celeriac root, chopped into 1 inch pieces
2 garlic cloves crushed
2 potatoes, chopped into 1 inch pieces
1 very large parsnip, sliced 
1 bottle dark beer (I used a Sam Adams chocolate bock)
1 large can diced tomatoes
3 bay leaves
1 tsp marjoram
1 tsp bouquet garni
1 tsp beef soup base (a bouillon paste)
salt and pepper

Heat olive oil in Dutch oven.  Lightly coat beef pieces in flour and brown in hot oil.  Add onions and cook for about 1 minute.  Add beer, all the veggies, the tomatoes, and the seasonings.  Cover and simmer for about 40  minutes or until veggies are done.  Adjust seasonings to your preference.    


No comments: