Sunday, June 13, 2010

And Then There Were Five

Just 5 more wake-ups until the end of this school year.  That's what the kids and I have been counting.  They have 4.5 days of school left and as far as they're concerned, they've been done for a while.  This week will be very easy in some respects since all the academic work is done.  In other respects, it will be a tough week.  We still have field day tomorrow (or Tuesday, if the weather doesn't cooperate)  to get through.  That's about 4.5 hours of outside activity:  relay races, egg toss, tug of war, etc.  They love it, but it's pretty wearing on this particular teacher.  Then we have another outside day at a local camp on Thursday.  In between we have Roman chariot races, ice cream making, book project presentations, and awards.  And I get to go into this week with one of the worst spring colds I've ever had.  Two nights of no sleep because of the nasal congestion does not make me feel rested and ready to go.

I still have to get my room packed ready for the move up to 7th grade. This week will be tough for me.   I've worked with members of my team for 3 years, 5 years, 7 years, and over 10 years, so this is going to be very hard emotionally for me. I'm heading off into uncharted territory and I just pray I have the energy left to do this.  I plan to use the summer to really relax so that when school starts again, I have lots of reserves to draw on.

2 comments:

Panhandle Jane said...

By all means, do relax for the summer. I know that it's hard to turn your mind off trying to plan for next year when you know that you will have so much to do, but you need to limit the time that you spend on that. One year in a similar situation, I set a daily time limit for planning and thinking about school. I think it was an hour, and I was able to stick with that. Of course, I still had two children at home then to distract me, so that made it much easier.

Have a good week, if possible.

Cathy said...

Yes Yes Yes - relax this summer. You will feel much better. Sounds like with all they are doing, you could stay home and get some rest. Nothing is worse than a cold in hot weather, that is, assuming it is hot there - it has been close to 100 here today.