Saturday, June 5, 2010

Books # 40-43

What can I say?  I love to escape into books!!

Book # 40

href="http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/76884.Kissed_a_Sad_Goodbye">Kissed a Sad Goodbye by Deborah Crombie
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Another good entry in the series.  I think I read this one years ago -- I had the deja vu feeling, but I didn't remember the culprit or the reasons why.  I definitely like how Deborah Crombie is developing her characters as well as the relationship between Kincaid and James.  I also continue to be surprised that she is not a British author; her settings are so evocative!


Book #41:

My rating: 3 of 5 stars
This is the 2nd installment in the Richard Jury series, and I enjoyed it more than the first one.  Richard Jury and Sergeant Wiggins are called out to a small Yorkshire village to investigate the murder of Gemma Temple, or is it Dillys March, the long-lost ward of Sir Titus Crael?   There are a number of possible suspects, all with good possible motives.  Grimes does a superb job of creating detailed characters, and in addition to fleshing out Wiggins, Melrose Plant, and Jury, we're introduced to the delightful Bertie Makepeace and "chatty" Percy Blythe.  She also serves up a good dollop of humor: I laughed out loud when Plant convinces Aunt Agatha that he's being followed by the dastardly agent provocateur Mr. Todd!





Book #42

My rating: 2 of 5 stars
This is a fantasy/romance which is not my favorite genre.  I found it a bit too heavy on the romance for my tastes.  Donna Hatch has created a believable world that was easy to picture. I also liked her characters. 


Book #43

a href="http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/511614.The_101_Dalmatians" style="float: left; padding-right: 20px">The 101 Dalmatians The 101 Dalmatians by Dodie Smith
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
I LOVED this book!  Until recently I didn't know that the Disney movie which enthralled me as a youngster, was based on a book.  (I don't know why, since just about every great Disney flick was based on one!)  The book of course was a bit different than the movie, and even better.  I loved the way the story was told from Pongo and Missis' perspective.  In the book, Perdita is a stray who becomes a foster mother to the pups.  I also loved the humor of the book.  It's a bit more sophisticated than that of the movie.  I wonder a bit if I would have enjoyed the book as much as I did had I read it as a child.  



No comments: