Monday, June 28, 2010

More Middle School Literature!

Book #58!

The Hunger Games (Hunger Games, #1)


My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I need another ratings bar -- one for how much I personally liked a book, and how much I think my students will like a book. I know that this is a popular title with many middle school girls, so I finally got around to reading it. The setting is sometime in the future in what used to the U.S. A major rebellion among the districts against the ruling government resulted in a vengeful punishment that has become a mandatory sporting event akin to the World Cup. Katniss has volunteerred to represent her district at the Hunger Games, taking the place of her younger sister whose name was chosen in "the reaping." Twenty-four teenagers battle each other to the death, with one winner emerging victoriously. The fast-paced novel keeps readers glued to the book, and it is a very compelling read. I did stay up late to finish it last night, but I also found it disturbing. I'd recommend it for older middle school students. Katniss is a conflicted heroine and the author did a great job of portraying her world. This is the first of several books in the series, and I will most likely read the next ones.

View all my reviews >>

1 comment:

Cathy said...

???? did your sentence get cut off on the blog?

You are a reading maniac!