Thursday, April 21, 2011

Finally, Some Sun!

It has been a pretty gloomy spring break so far, but today at least has some sunshine.  It's been chilly and gray for most of the week so far.   I haven't really been outside much other than to do errands.    I have instead been watching Netflix (Bones, and Midsomer Murders), knitting, and reading.

Here's the latest book review

A Lesson in Secrets (Maisie Dobbs, #8)A Lesson in Secrets by Jacqueline Winspear
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I love the Maisie Dobbs series and I looked forward to this newest installment.  Maisie is recruited by the British intelligence to go undercover as a philosophy lecturer at a "peace" college at Cambridge.  It's 1932 and there is a growing fascination with Hitler's rhetoric.  Maisie's brief is to find out whether any of the "peace" activities are damaging to the Crown.  On the home front, Billy's wife is expecting a fourth child, James Compton seems to be less than truthful, and Sandra, a former Compton servant has been arrested for breaking and entering.


One of the appeals of these novels for me has been Maisie's studied, reflective manner.  Another appeal has been the way the author manages to evoke the time period in which the novel is set.  For some reason, this novel seemed to plod much too slowly for me. I kept waiting for the story to happen.  In some ways I felt this book was a place-keeper - something to mark the inexorable march towards war, but not go too far.  Don't get me wrong. I'm glad I read it, and I will continue to read this series, but this particular installment, just didn't wow me.


View all my reviews
  

And here's my latest knitting, so far




No comments: