Friday, February 19, 2016

Review: Off Season

Off Season Off Season by Anne Rivers Siddons
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

It's been quite a while since I've read Anne Rivers Siddons. I haven't read a book of hers that I haven't liked, and this was no exception. And like the others I've read, I couldn't put it down today, and didn't get any work done! Lilly's beloved husband of almost 40 years, Cam, has died suddenly. Despite the objections of her children, Lilly decides to spend the summer alone at Edgewater, the family cottage on the coast of Maine. Lilly's almost idyllic summer childhood was spent at Edgewater, until a tragedy changed her family's life. She didn't return until she met Cam, and then their family spent their summers there. While at Edgewater, Lily relives her past and as she reflects on her life, she comes to terms with her grief, and makes some startling discoveries. Lily often calls Edgewater's setting luminous and numinous, and that's how I would describe Siddons' writing in this novel. The ending was fitting, with a bit of twist I hadn't expected. A very satisfying book!

View all my reviews

No comments: