Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Review: Deliver Her: A Novel

Deliver Her: A Novel Deliver Her: A Novel by Patricia Perry Donovan
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I picked this book from the April KindleFirst offerings. It's the kind of book I probably wouldn't have picked up at my library, but I liked it more than I expected to.

Alex Carmody is 16, deep in grief over the death of her best friend in a car accident. Her mother Meg is worried sick about her. Alex has taken up with a poor choice of friends, has been fired from her job, is skipping school, and may be involved with drugs. She refuses to go to counseling and appears to hate her mother. Meg's marriage is on the rocks too. Her husband wants a divorce and he refuses to see that his daughter has a problem. At her wits' end, Meg secretly arranges for Alex to be transported to a private school in NH where she can get the help she needs. On the way to the school, there is a serious accident and Alex goes missing.

The story is presented from both Meg's and Alex's points of view. Alex's character was pretty believable, while Meg's was a little less so. The plot was interesting enough to keep me up past midnight to finish it, though I thought the ending was a bit too neatly wrapped up.

All in all, a decent KindleFirst read!

View all my reviews

No comments: