Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Review: The Washingtons: George and Martha, "Join'd by Friendship, Crown'd by Love"

The Washingtons: George and Martha, The Washingtons: George and Martha, "Join'd by Friendship, Crown'd by Love" by Flora Fraser
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

This is a well-researched book about the relationship between George and Martha Washington. The author relies on a lot of primary source material - letters between George and Martha, and letters about them from family, friends, and colleagues. I didn't gain any new insights or have any revelations, and in fact, it felt a lot like reading a textbook. I stuck with it, hoping to find some clues to solving a family mystery. Supposedly my mother's family is connected to the Parke-Custis family, and we were told that "You're related to Martha Washington's children." So far my research hasn't turned up any links. That's the main reason I read the book.

View all my reviews

No comments: