Saturday, January 16, 2010

Again with the Books!

Civil War Hospital Sketches Civil War Hospital Sketches by Louisa May Alcott


My rating: 3 of 5 stars
After seeing the PBS American Masters presentation on Louisa May Alcott, I downloaded Hospital Sketches on my Kindle. I'd read all the usual LMA books - Little Women, Little Men, Jo's Boys, Eight Cousins, Rose in Bloom, etc. but hadn't ever read this one. It's a thinly-disguised fictional account of LMA's nursing experiences in a Washington, DC Civil War hospital. Alcott's writing style is all Jo - earnest, engaging, enthusiastic, a bit preachy, and very detailed. I enjoyed it!



I also read

Blood Will Tell (Kate Shugak, Book 6) Blood Will Tell by Dana Stabenow


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Blood will Tell is Dana Stabenow's best yet. I couldn't put this one down. Kate's grandmother Ekaterina, head of their tribal nation, asks her to investigate the unexpected death of one of the tribal board members. Kate uncovers a tangled web of deceit that involves too many people close to her, and she suffers a devastating loss. Along the way, she also helps Jack gain custody of his son. Stabenow delineates the conflict between tradition and progress, between the Outside and native Alaskans, and inside Kate as she struggles to reconcile her feelings about her grandmother and the choices she herself has made. A really compelling installment!

View all my reviews >>

No comments: