Sunday, January 24, 2010

A New (to me) Book Series

A Share in Death (Kincaid/James #1) A Share in Death by Deborah Crombie


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
I've discovered a new author and I'm glad I did. A Share in Death by Deborah Crombie is the first in a series of mysteries featuring Scotland Yard's Superintendent Duncan Kincaid and his sergeant Gemma Jones. Kincaid is taking some much-needed vacation time at a Yorkshire time-share. His vacation is quickly interrupted by the discovery of a body in the swimming pool, and further complicated by a second murder. Crombie portrays Kincaid as an astute, intelligent observer, but also as very cool and reserved. His more-outgoing assistant seems to understand Kincaid's need for distance, and provides an effectivie counterbalance. The author does a great job evoking the Yorkshire countryside and the setting comes alive with apt descriptive details. The plotting is tight, and it wasn't until the very last few pages, that I figured out "who dun it." I look forward to reading more of the books in the series.

View all my reviews >>

No comments: