Saturday, February 5, 2011

Two Books I Didn't Like

I don't often read two books in a row that I didn't like.  The first one was just plain silly.  The second wasn't terrible, but I just couldn't get into it.

Book #1


Deadly Sanctuary (Kendall O'Dell Mystery series)Deadly Sanctuary by Sylvia Nobel
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

I'm glad I didn't pay for this one. I downloaded it for free on my Kindle.  Kendall O'Dell (don't like the similar sounding first and last name) is a feisty reporter who has just moved to a small Arizona town.  Her first assignment is actually a secret one.  She's looking into the sudden disappearance of the reporter she's replaced.  This was just plain silly. She meets two men who fascinate her:  Eric, the handsome rich guy, and Tally, the long-suffering cowboy.  It's no mystery as to who she'll end up with, and no mystery as who at least one of the bad guys is. The writing is terrible, and I think the only reason I finished reading it, was that it was the only book I had my Kindle that easily put me to sleep.


View all my reviews
  

And book #2:

My rating: 2 of 5 stars
I always look forward to reading Martha Grimes, and I was especially eager to shake off the taste of an inane mystery/romance I'd just finished.  This 9th installment in the Richard Jury series started off really well.  Jury is finally getting some vacation time, spending his holiday in Long Piddlington with his friend Melrose Plant.   All of the usual characters are here, including Aunt Agatha who is suing Mr.Jurvis, the local butcher over an accident she caused.  Of course his holiday plans are completely disrupted when a body tumbles out of an antique secretaire that antique dealer Marshall Trueblood is showing Jury and Plant.  I thoroughly enjoyed about 2/3 of the book, but the last part fell apart.  I had trouble keeping the facts straight, and I thought the ending was too convoluted.  I ended up feeling very disappointed in my visit with Jury and company.  I guess not all entries in the series can be great.


No comments: